I’ve been busy. I posted the details of a wacky con on the Crawling Chaos website (shown above). In a nutshell, it appears to operate thus:
- User searches for music or other media
- User is presented with search results, some of which point to Black Box Access
- User clicks on link and is told that the required file was uploaded last week and has been downloaded ~19,000 times
- User immediately thinks “this is popular, I’ll have it!”
- User hands over email & financial details
After this I don’t know as obviously handing over that data to a bunch of crooks is just asking for trouble.
However, as if to highlight their very own scamminess, Black Box Access serve ads which go to websites from which it’s almost impossible to leave with continuous pop-ups and all the usual crap.
So beware. Tread softly young Luke. It’s a major privacy issue.