- Live in County Durham, UK
- Don’t pass the driving test
- Drive a car, unsupervised, with your partner and her 6-year old child as passengers!
- Find a cyclist while driving around
- Make sure the cyclist is not wearing a helmet
- Knock over the cyclist with your illegally driven and thus un-insured car
- Make sure the cyclist dies
Quoting from The Journal, Live, here’s what happened:
Denis Moore, 50, regularly drove his partner’s Hyundai Matrix mobility car despite only holding a provisional licence. Durham Crown Court was told yesterday how he was behind the wheel when he collided with cyclist James Jorgensen at 6pm on September 24 last year.
Mr Jorgensen, 55, of East Shore Village, Seaham, County Durham, was riding round a roundabout near his home when Moore’s car hit him. He was flung to the ground and died eight days later of severe head injuries.
But Moore, 50, of Byron Terrace, Houghton-le-Spring, near Sunderland, escaped jail after the court was told Mr Jorgensen had not been wearing a safety helmet.
That’s murder in my book. The man Moore plainly has no consideration for the lives of others and the laws that we have to protect us.
The twat judge is no better and should be strung up or struck off. Like our forgetful MPs and their expenses, the judge has shown a complete disregard for the law, both literally and in it’s spirit. The judge’s tiny supposition that “helmets are safe” has completely outweighed the cascade of offences that Moore committed by actually driving on the public highway. If Jorgenson had lived, what hope would there have been for him to get any damages from Moore? None! Because by driving on the road, Moore’s insurance was invalidated and any compensation would have had to be derived from Moore’s limited means. His partner Bell was the same by allowing the offences.
In fact, it could be argued that Jorgenson, the cyclist, may have cycled differently and avoided a collision if he’d spotted some L-Plates on Moore’s car – but of course, Moore didn’t have any.
What a pair of complete and utter bastards, Moore and the Judge.
The completely un-reasoned argument the judge used could be applied to all ‘accidents’ (I hate that term – they should be called crashes, because that’s what they are, and almost all are completely avoidable).
By the same criteria;
- Anyone knocked over on the footpath could have been saved by wearing a helmet or a suit of armour.
- Anyone shot by a gunman could have escaped death by wearing a bullet-proof vest.
- Anyone killed in a airplane crash should have had a parachute.
It’s the same, stupid, un-reasoned logic that shifts the onus of responsibility onto the injured person.
L-Plates are £2.99 from Amazon…
I saw this tragic news (Pregnant woman dies in kerb crash) after writing the above today. Both the woman and her foetus died when hit by a BMW while walking on the footpath. It’ll be interesting to see if the stupid logic of the previous case is used when justice is finally served… Should she have been wearing a suit of armour last night? Can you see the rubbish logic at work now?
See local news link: Pregnant Carlisle woman dies after car mounts pavement
- Killer driver Denis Moore escapes jail
- Killer driver escapes prison because cyclist wasn’t wearing a helmet
- Judge blames dead cyclist in “extraordinary” court case against illegal driver
- Man’s momentary lapse caused death of cyclist
- Driver who killed pedal cyclist walks free from court
- Cyclist dies after accident in Seaham
- Unlicensed driver killed cyclist