Tomorrow, This Site Is Dead.
All my sites go off-line tomorrow in what-is-to-be-hoped a world-wide protest against the proposed SOPA & PIPA acts in the USA.
Under intense lobbying from the entertainment industry behemoths, the law, far from protecting copyright holders like myself, will actually make it a simple process for any person or organisation with enough ‘clout’ to close down whole websites or force them to change content without any call to the process of law which has been bloodily built up over centuries in our Western world.
This means that those with ‘clout’ can censor – anyone – for anything – on their own whim.
This is draconian. This is bad. Very bad. Essentially, it’s the beginning of end of what little civilisation we have and the start of a dark dictatorial era which can only end badly.
The internet started and spread because content is king. If SOPA goes ahead, content will be at the behest of and regulated by vast faceless pan-global entities.
- You will see what they want you to see.
- You will read what they want you to read.
- You will think what they want you to think.
My websites are just a pimple in the sea of internet content. But many others are also closing for the day. The 18th of January 2012 is the day the internet self-censors. Many large websites are closing too. It shows us what the future could become.
- For all you yanks reading this, follow the links to find out how you can help.
- For the rest of us, because the USA has traditionally and historically been a bastion of freedom, pray hard – because what the USA does affects us all.