HTC Desire S – Software Update
Last night, my mobile decided to upgrade itself. Both Android and HTC Sense got “upgraded”. It’s now:
- Android 2.3.5
- HTC Sense 3.0
- Software Number 2.10.401.5
It’s now got very pretty icons and even more scary fog sounds on the weather app.!!
It’s a bit slicker and has a ring-pull on the start screen!
Most of the icons and text (like SMS, say) have had a spruce up and are neater.
It forced a swathe of updates from other apps like Google Maps, Adobe Reader, Flash etc.
Not so Good.
But wait! What happened to navigation in the HTC Locations app?
Granted, the app is slicker and uses the same Route 66 software, but now I have to pay a minimum of six quid a month to use the very useful “Get Directions” facility which is one of the reasons that I bought the phone for in the first place!!!
And if I do pay, it only works for car, not for pedestrian mapping as it used to!
The point is that it’s my software.
- I paid for a license to use it, but I didn’t agree to have it removed and replaced by an inferior version of software that asks for more money.
- I agreed for the software to be updated, but it was updated without saying what the update would do!
- In effect, HTC have stolen my software from me.
- HTC have dishonoured the original contract when I purchased the phone and software.
HTC are crooks. Bizarrely, the late Steve Jobs is right.