Victory! Or is it Victory? Jesse Willms Surrenders All to FTC Onslaught.
Jesse Willms Folds Following Consumer-Led Pressure on FTC and Other Law Agencies
Jesse Willms, (the Canadian who set the legal dogs, financed by his scamduggery, onto me, for telling the truth about him on this website), has finally caved in to the FTC charges. This is the full FTC judgement.
This is a victory of sorts for the millions who have been scammed by him over the last few years. However, what has actually happened has been a kind of plea bargaining, much favoured in the US. (Here’s his home-town take on it.)
Hunstville 0, Willms 1
Instead of being stripped completely of his ill-gotten gains and being chucked in the slammer for a few years, he has reached a settlement whereby no admission of guilt has been made!
This is exactly what I suggested would happen, because the self-proclaimed philanthropist Jesse will do anything, absolutely anything, to stay in business.
To me this isn’t true victory.
He’s not been punished by the law which explains the lingering smell I have, possibly due to his key lawyers having previously worked at the FTC. Maybe it is the old boy network? Whatever.
The millions (yes, millions the FTC say) of people scammed may be temporarily amazed at the $359-million judgement, but seeing as how the original complaint was for over $450m they’ll soon realise that he’s got off with $100m! However it’s worded, Willms has weaselled out of any admission of guilt, which means he’s still in business.
What cunning plans could now be afoot, with $100m to back them up, they’ll wonder? It’s like The Return of Fu Manchu.
Almost 4 Million Questions
Like me, the millions scammed by him will be questioning how he isn’t, right now, being butt-plugged in Huntsville, instead of having 7 days to calmly surrender his bank accounts to prove that he can stump up the $359m negotiated, meanwhile making gratuitous comments about better business practices in future whilst still singing the praises of his $1000 philanthropic gestures.
- True, Willms et al have to hand over all their money and have promised as much under sufferance of perjury.
- True, they all have to notify the FTC of their whereabouts for the next 20 years and all their business proceeds. They have to keep compliance records for 5 years.
- True, Willms must tell the FTC his jobs, phone numbers, businesses in which he’s involved etc
- True, Willms et al have 180 days to hand over all details of all their businesses and contacts within those businesses.
- True, Willms for the next five years must give a copy of the FTC order (the pdf attached) to each person he does business with and that they have 30 days to sign and return it to the FTC.
True for all of that, but, Willms can still do business and who knows if any of his victims will get recompensed. A lot of the order’s wording is to ensure that the US & Canadian Inland Revenue get their taxes from Willms et al for the last three years. What about the little people?
This article guesses that victims won’t see any of the cash. My guess is that only those people that actually complained to the FTC will get cash, which is why it’s so important to complain, as I’ve suggested for years.
This article thinks that he’s had to hand over everything (though I can’t see how they justify that, given what we know about business secrecy in Nicosia, Cyprus), yet it also points out that the bans that Willms has had to acquiesce to only apply to the USA! That is, there’s nothing at all saying Willms can’t set up anywhere else, like Korea say, and hammer the world from there!
MSNBC opinionate that Jesse Willms will need to look for a new line of work…..
I, of course, beg to differ, because:
- He settled with Microsoft, yet carried on trading as usual.
- He settled with Symantech, yet carried on trading as usual.
- He settled with Oprah Winfrey, yet carried on trading as usual.
- He settled with Dr Oz, yet carried on trading as usual.
- He settled with Google yet carried on trading as usual.
- Now he has settled with the FTC. I’d be amazed (yet obviously pleased) if he changed the patterns of a lifetime. Only time will tell.
On top of this, Willms himself states on his blog entry (see screenshot above);
We are working to resolve issues relating to past marketing practices for products that our company no longer sells. Through this process, we have taken steps to assure(sic) that our business practices are in full compliance with the law. We are excited by the opportunity to continue giving customers access to a variety of products and services at significant savings. – n.b. the emphasis is mine.
…..which looks to me that it’s more web business, not a change in business type.
It’s a victory, but not the one the whole world wants. It all leaves a bad, lingering, smell…..
Apart from Willms, Sechrist and others, the business entities that we’ve come across in our investigations here, are all in the judgement. It writes that “Corporate Defendants” means:
- 1021018 Alberta Ltd, also d..b.a. Just Think Media, Credit Report America, Wulongsource, and Wuyi Source;
- 1016363 Alberta Ltd also d.b.a. eDirect Software;
- 1524948 Alberta Ltd, also d.b.a. Terra Marketing Group, Swipe.Bids.com, and SwipeAuctions.com;
- Circle Media Bids Limited, also d.b.a. SwipeBids.com SwipeAuctions.com, and SellofAuctions.com;
- Coastwest Holdings Limited;
- Farend Services Ltd;
- JDW Media, LLC;
- Net Soft Media, LLC, also d.b.a. SwipeBids.com;
- Sphere Media, LLC, also d.b,a SwipeBids.com and SwipeAuctions.com;
I’ve listed these so that they appear in search engines and so that people realise the lengths of obfuscation that Willms has used in his activities.
I say Willms, because he is recognised in the judgement as the prime mover in the scams. He has been pinched for hundreds of millions – the others have been collared for a few tens of thousands at most each, some, for nothing, because (how embarrassing is that for them?), they have nothing – yes really!
- How annoying for the two Gravers that their payments are about the same as young Jesse Wilms’ fish tank! ($30,000 in 2010 he paid for it)
- I wonder how the Children’s Hospital Boston and the Gulf Coast Restoration Fund both realise that they’ve got less from philanthropic Jesse than he’s spent on his fish tank? ($25k each) I wonder how they feel now, knowing that this money was stolen from ordinary consumers, people like themselves?
- Or how do Canadian veterans feel about Willms plugging his $1k donation to the poppy fund, while spending $5000 on a pool table?
How galling for Sechrist, Callister, and Milne. They can pay nothing, Willms can pay $359m! If they’re still working for him I bet that that’s fun in the office!
This is a local copy of the full FTC Judgement Against Wills et al I suggest everyone read it – it’s riveting.
- FTC Halts Deceptive Practices of Marketer Who Collected $359 Million Using Bogus ‘Free’ Trial Offers (ftc.gov)
- Jesse Willms Banned by Judge from Negative Option Selling – Assets Frozen! (strangelyperfect.tv)
- FTC Permanently Stops Six Operators from Using Fake News Sites that Allegedly Deceived Consumers about Acai Berry Weight-Loss Products (ftc.gov)
- Con artist made $359m selling worthless drugs over internet to customers in UK and US (dailymail.co.uk)
- FTC Reaches $359 Million Settlement Over ‘free’ Trial Offers (pcworld.com)
- Accused of defrauding consumers, Alta. businessman settles with U.S. authorities (canada.com)
- Authorities End Spree by Payday Loan Scammers (loans.org)
- Scammer took in $359M with bogus ‘free-trial’ offers (lifeinc.today.msnbc.msn.com)
- FTC To Provide Refunds to Victims of Bogus Scareware Scam (ftc.gov)
- Alberta internet marketer settles $359M case in US (cbc.ca)
- Alberta internet marketer settles $359M case in US (cbc.ca)
- FTC Reaches $359 Million Settlement Over ‘Free’ Trial Offers (pcworld.com)
Acai Alberta Artist auction BANK CA Canada CASH CBC CHANGE Company Complaint Contact corporate cyprus defend Dog Drug Embarrassing engine EVERYTHING EXACTLY fake news finance Fish fraud FTC GOOGLE Gratuitous GROUP guilt HUNDREDS Internet investigation Jesse Willms judge judgement Just Think Just Think Media Korea LAW Lawyer legal LLC LTD Mad Marketing Microsoft money MSN msnbc Negative Option NET NEWS news sites NOTHING NUMBERS Office Oprah Oprah Winfrey ORDER PDF philanthropist Politics Promise PROVE RE RELATED scam scammer screenshot SERVICES SIX SOFTWARE SwipeAuction SwipeAuctions swipebids Symantech tank TerraMarketing Think Media THINKS trial truth UK USA war weasel YEARS