Facts and Lies: UKIP Checking
It’s UKIP wot done it guv. It’s Suzanne Evans talking – click here to pause her waffle.
UKIP’s backers are some of the sharpest, wealthiest people in the land.
UKIP’s tactics however, have been to take on all crackpots of all kinds, then, when the fuckwit says something beyond the pale, they evict them.
This has the effect of being news-worthy, and as we in entertainment know, all news is good news. The normal triumvirate of red, blue and orange have had a few gobshite moments, but UKIP beats them hands down.
The litany of UKIP’s tactics is strewn across the web, but a fairly recent summary and discourse on them can be found on Another Angry Voice (AAV).
Fact Checks #1
As Tom at AAV noted in the link above, UKIP-ers are not fond of reading anything beyond the first few lines of anything and have a raft of weird ideas all the stuff headed up and analysed with examples, summarised neatly here:
|General abuse||Confirmation Bias||Denial of reality||Just making stuff up|
|Conspiracies||Meta-slander||Persecution complexes||Marxist fearmongering|
|Talking in absolutes||This is a “Hate group”||The Censorship fallacy||Fascist sentiments|
|Straw-manning||You called us racist||Humourlessness||Right, I’m definitely voting UKIP now!|
It’s all very “lowest common denominator” (LCD) stuff. Confirmation Bias rules, okay!
Fact Checks #2
Though I despise UKIP and parties like them, I do try to check facts, from all over and presented by anyone. Even those that I support get it wrong sometimes. Question everything!
UKIP’s Suzanne Evans on Radio 4
I heard that Evans had been quoted as saying that UKIP ” had difficulty appealing to the educated, cultured and young” with regard to the voting in London. It was on the BBC Radio 4 “Today” programme. You can listen to the whole thing here for the next few days. If you do a Google search for the phrase, “difficulty appealing to the “educated, cultured and young”” a whole raft of websites, news organisations, social media and news agregation websites are all reporting this very same thing. The search produced >1000 – here are 3.
This Reddit chat is a notable exception to the broadcast-info-with-impunity-or-checks brigade and also has a link to the interview. They say she never said it and provide a textual view of the interview.
The trouble is, she never actually said it! This is my recording of the show, editted down to Suzanne Evans’ interview and compressed for audio clarity before MP3-ing it.
It’s True – She Never Said It!
So why are all the news sites and almost every Google search result saying that she did? ( Well almost all – a Reddit chat also says that she never said it. ) The Independent report even has a nicely forlorn UKIP blokey.
In the interview, then interviewer actually says that it was a colleague in London (not known, not named) who, she said, UKIP “had difficulty appealing to the educated, cultured and young”
- The truth of the matter is that people hardly ever check anything nowadays.
- The deluge of information is too great.
- Everyone expects reputable news providers to do properly journalistic background checks.
- The BBC interviewer never checked.
- The truth of the matter is that all news providers are in collusion with the establishment to maintain the neoliberal status quo.
- The UKIP freaks who commented on AAV are correct in that it is a conspiracy.
- UKIP freaks are right in that the BBC shows anti-UKIP left-wing bias.
The trouble with #2 is that UKIP contains part of the powerful establishment elite.
- Farage is a former banker and apart from a host of wealthy backers, the normal tory paper (Daily Telegraph – torygraph in common parlance) is now swapping sides since the tories are not right-wing enough for it’s wealthy owners, the reclusive, island-owning, tax-avoiding, feudalistic, Sark-criticising (because it won’t allow them to set up a tax haven), Barclay Brothers.
- Many other establishment papers likewise share a divisive, right wing, xenophobic stance.
- The BBC has had rafts of governement enforced right wing management changes (government plants is the phrase).
- The BBC has given more airtime to Farage than any other panellist on “Question Time” except for Dimbleby.
This leaves #1.
Nobody can be bothered to check facts.
Audio BBC collusion Conspiracy Croydon daily mail Daily Telegraph denial election entertainment establishment Euroscepticism EVERYTHING fascist good GOOGLE google search Government GREAT GROUP London lowest common denominator management mp3 MSN NEWS news sites Nigel Farage NORMAL OKAY persecution QUESTION Question Time Recording RESULT Suzanne Evans tory truth UKIP UKIP.lies Weird