I don’t know what reasons are behind any of it, but it’s probably a combination of a corrupted Firefox profile and some weird goings on with my ISP, Pipex, (like here, say),but I’ve found that of the 3 main browsers, Opera works best with my websites. 😛
I’ve done comparative tests on my connection, twiddled themes and plugins, disabled and enabled Java etc, but overall, my viewing and maintenance of my personal web pages on my connection, hosted in the USA, is an order of magnitude better using Opera!
In fact I’ve had really poor loading and rendering from Firefox, which is most unusual. IE7 has rendered some stuff poorly, especially some plugin graphics, but on the new theme, it works and loads fine.
And in the final analysis, that’s all I want, isn’t it?
And I find this sad actually as I’ve been a fan of Firefox since it was called Phoenix 0.5 …
Here are the versions currently in use on my PC today:
- Firefox: v 3.0.3 (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:220.127.116.11) Gecko/2008092417 Firefox/3.0.3)
- Opera: 9.61 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en-GB) Presto/2.1.1)
System Windows XP
Sun Java Runtime Environment version 1.6
XHTML+Voice Plug-in not loaded
- Internet Explorer 7: v 7.0.5730.13 (128 bit cipher strength)
So I now recommend Opera. Give it a go, here. It has all the right-click functionality of Firefox, and more!
BTW, I think the new theme is so nifty, I’ve put it across a few sites, like the Crawling Chaos one here. It has several configuration settings in-built to eliminate hand twiddling of the code and has in reality several large theme options only a click or tow away.
The one thing I’ve got to alter is add the “from date” to the copyright assertions. It only shows the current year, which is irksome as most people have continuing operations over several years and it looks like copyright is being asserted only from the date shown.
Another thing I’ve changed is the “author/authors” bit of php. It exposes the user logon name on mouse hover, which I consider a security issue. I’ve changed it to show the “friendly display name”, which is “Strangely” in my case! I’ve limited the display of other author info as well, because it’s the display of this kind of information that the spammers are after to further their SEO ranking and linking ends.
On a locked down site, this of course doesn’t matter, but for open commenting, it’s something that has to be properly managed.