You Were Warned About Boris
‘I was at a hospital where there were a few coronavirus patients and I shook hands with everybody’ says Boris Johnson – Tuesday 3 March 2020
Before Tuesday 23rd March 2020… The pandemic was out of control in Italy and Spain, killing thousands, and surging across the globe, prompting a scramble to emulate Chinese-style lockdowns. Meanwhile in the UK:
- “Boris Johnson had gone out publicly and essentially asked Britons … to accept death, more dangerous than coronavirus” – Greek newspaper Ethnos
- “…abandoned any measure to contain or restrain the virus” – Lawrence Wong, Singapore national development minister.
- “He has seemed like a leader acting under duress … playing catch-up to a private sector that had already acted on its own.” – The New York Times
- “Boris Johnson is gambling with the health of his citizens,” said the Irish Times.
- Latest figures show that there are now 106,000 vacancies across the NHS in England, including over 44,000 vacancies in nursing. This marks an increase from one year ago. Beneath this staffing crisis is a chronic lack of government funding, particularly the scrapping of training bursaries. The result is that health workers are working over a million hours a week of unpaid overtime to help the NHS cope with rising demand for care. – 2 December 2019