I’ve had some site clean-ups getting rid of duff links and links to picture and articles that no longer exist on both the Crawling Chaos site and my Strangely Perfect blog. There were hundreds! They are all based on WordPress with a MySQL database backend and publicly available themes which I’ve twiddled a bit.
This shows the benefit of:
- deciding at an early stage:
- what sort of permalinks to use
- the complete page structure of a page heavy site
- not moving pages around after even a small amount of design
- keeping on top of your links
- Note to self: try and do this checking more often!
- not to make links to specific pages in ephemeral sites (like shops with stuff for sale) because the links rot really fast!
Jillian Greenwood needs checking next. I know she’s moved shedloads of stuff 🙁