Last updated on November 21st, 2015
It’s happened again!
Actually, it’s happened several times but this is the first post on it…
While looking at my stats logs for this website, strangelyperfect.tv, I’ve had some incongruous hits from US universities, some of whom should have better I.T. departments, IMHO.
Here are four from yesterday – I had two hits from each address.
- http://dhibwiki.buffalo.edu/index.php/Buy_Levitra_Online_Order Levitra_Online_Purchase_Levitra_Online_Cheap
- http://dhibwiki.buffalo.edu/index.php/Buy_Viagra_Online_Order Viagra_Online_Purchase_Viagra_Online_Cheap
- http://dhibwiki.buffalo.edu/index.php/Buy_Cialis_Soft_Tabs_Online_Order_Cialis Soft_Tabs_Online_Purchase_Cialis_Soft_Tabs_Online_Cheap
- http://dhibwiki.buffalo.edu/index.php/Buy_Cialis_Online_Order_Cialis_Online Purchase_Cialis_Online_Cheap
You get the drift? The main index folder is left open and someone has written to the space with four crap spam things. The main index page is normal with an intro to the ‘Digital Humanities’ dept of the yooni. Most of the 4 dodgy pages have been accessed >600 times. Being a Wiki, you can check the history… … …
It was put there yesterday and the referring URL is calling itself Lilurl. This is something new for me so I need a bit more poking around. However, it’s a kind of dashboard, splattered with ads and a text box for url entry…
- https://www.umbc.edu/ddm/wiki/Buy_Cialis_Online_Order_Cialis_Online_Purchase_Cialis_Online_Cheap – this morning!!
This is called the Distributed and Ubiquitous Data Mining (DDM) encyclopedia that anyone can edit from the University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC)…. I call it referral spam!
- https://www.stanford.edu/group/htgg/cgi-bin/mediawiki/index.php?title=Levitra_professional_overnight_delivery – you read it right!
Yes. Stanford University. A list of their alumni is here, but suffice to say that most of the modern IT & communications world is derived from Stanford folk…
The problem for me, not being an IT genius, is how these sites find and then ping my website? What do they hope to achieve?
Another issue is the ease with which these websites are cracked using this Wiki software and the apparent ease with which extra processes can run, even in a knowledgeable place like Stanford.
All the above links were working as of early A.M., 14 May 2009. I haven’t added actual hyperlinks, but a copy & paste will do it for you if you wish to check.
Update 21 May 2009
I got pinged again last night from the Buffalo links which are still there!