Last updated on November 21st, 2015
This site has had a bit of a jiggle in the background recently and the most recent thing I’ve done is to adjust the permalink structure to /%post_id%/%postname%/.
I’ve done this as
- I like to put posts into several categories – which would give multiple SEO entries – which is bad.. (don’t tell me to use one category – it’s how my brain works! 😉
- I want a unique post entry so that there is no possible chance of post confusion
- I don’t need the date parts suggested in most blogs as the calendar thing should still work…
- I want the shortest, most descriptive and UNIQUE post entry/title/thingy
To make sure I haven’t got link rot (as I found here), I’ve used a plugin rather than twiddling with .htaccess. This is Dean’s Permalinks Migration Plugin Version 1.0. However, it’s got a bug apparently so the fix is here in this Weblog Tools Collection post, or download here from g30rg3 Blog or from WordPress here.
This has started as since installing Alex King’s 404 Notifier I’ve noticed a few oddities shooting back to me. One type of thing is this which I take as the RSS option:
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:220.127.116.11) Gecko/20070725 Firefox/18.104.22.168
It’s some sort of search I guess. Doing a whois on eclub.lv and a google search on various parts of the string shows lots of weirdness on the web that I still haven’t cracked. The main things are that
- I never wrote a page like anything there,
- I’ve chopped down my translation widgets
- the “chives” bit is archive truncated which is why I’ve changed the permalinks to see what happens
- I’ve got folders like “de” blocked in the robots.txt file so they shouldn’t be searched by legitimate robot engines. It’s normally is added to the post address when the translation engine plugin is installed.
- I’ve tried a few translators. They all have the extra folder effect.
Watch this space, I guess.