Last updated on December 1st, 2010
I moved this website over to Site5 hosting last night. Mostly, it went okay!
I’ve spent the last few days copying the various media, plugins, themes and WordPress code files, and then last night I set the Nameserver pointers and waited for the propogation to start. As far as I can tell, it’s working in the UK, USA and Canada, which isn’t bad for a couple of hours.
The email was a bit problematical. There’s a buried setting in Site5 multiadmin that needs changing from “unlimited” to a numerical value to get any emails going. This was my error messsage when setting up the email account:
“Sorry, you have exceeded the maximum allowed email accounts”
Fortunately, Google pulled out this single forum posting that pointed me in the right direction.
The main thing is that everything important seems to be working. A single plugin will need looking at and a few pictures needed transferring from the very most recent postings. .htaccess is taken care of, sitemap & robots file too as well as google and yahoo authentication files.
More importantly, both the front and back ends of the site are a lot snappier. Even the hosting admin pages are snappier as well! Woo-Hoo!