It’s Just Like Bladerunner, And Not Just the Weather!
Tears in Rain
Bladerunner, the movie, based on an old Philip K Dick science-fiction story, was made by Ridley Scott from North-East England, someone I’m distantly related to. Made in 1982, it presents a very grey, wet, bleak future, heavily referencing Scott’s (and my own!) upbringing of wide, breathtaking Northumbrian vistas, interspersed with the constant oppression of continuous rain in a dense urban landscape. It’s a metaphor for the continuous duality of freedom and slavery.
Back in 79-80, when Jeff and I made Crawling Chaos’ Sex Machine, I saw it as a neat tune, with our comically scientific words slapped on top. The words humorously refer to a future of gene control and designer-led bodies. Because humans are so sexually fixated, we postulated that this may become the be-all and end-all of most technology, with real work for the betterment of mankind taking second spot. And of course, the more sex, then the more sexually transmitted diseases (STD) there’ll be. It’s all in the words.
Amazingly, apart from the flying cars and an army of androids, the world is very much like Bladerunner. Floods (like the recent ones in the UK, and 2007, and 2005 etc), storms, heatwaves, blizzards, insect plagues, species extinction. The whole world has had them in increasingly bizarre locations and strengths.
And yet while disasters hit us, those in The West, certainly, are more concerned with celebrity gossip and inane personal acquisitions. The pursuit of the self.
The scientists trying to model vast climatic changes are ridiculed for doing so as their words are endlessly quoted out of context by the vested interests of the climate-change-sceptic lobby. All science indeed is held in contempt by the ignorant classes, except if it can be used for sex or death.
Pudenda and Hymen
- Remarkably, there’s now a huge cosmetic industry devoted to amending women’s pudenda to some ‘ideal look’ more akin to pre-pubescent girls!
- Now, in a neat twist on Barry Bucknell‘s DIY skills, there are online designs and instructions so that anyone can make their own sex machine…. a machine-driven giant cock with a flywheel! Ordinary dildos are not enough! For males there is an army of sucking machines of various types.
- Even more bizarrely, women are now having their hymen repaired – just so that they can be filmed having it ‘broken’ again for the porn industry. And then they get it repaired again! So it can be filmed being broken, again.
- Men have penis inserts and painful extensions both mechanical and physically while parliament is petitioned for the ‘rights’ of non-breeding couples to be somehow mated and made to conceive children.
- Breast implants and augmentation are hardly worth mentioning, they are so commonplace.
Ordinary Sex Machine
All of these things are done to ordinary people. They are not deformed or burned like some WW2 fighter pilot or Elephant Man.
They are just ordinary folk.
So what is it about ordinary people that makes so many want to be less-ordinary, sexually? They are not sex slaves, but are slaves to sex, so much so that peer kudos is their sole reason for existence.
Tears in Rain
For me, our song Sex Machine does not sound so odd now, despite the ignorant comments made towards it. And Bladerunner now seems so prophetic, it’s scary.
Rutger made up the line “Tears in Rain” on the spur of the moment. It was unscripted and has become one of the most famous lines in film.
I feel the same, because,
I’ve Seen Things You People Wouldn’t Believe…