Is August a bad month for flying. Is it just me or have there been a lot of large airplane crashes and near-escapes in the past few weeks?
Or are they symptoms being revealed statistically, of cost-cutting and slipping maintenance at a time of falling revenues, bankruptcies and stiff competition? What do you think?
- Huge hole in terror plunge airplane ‘could have been caused by corrosion, spotted in March’ – Qantas airplane plummets and survives with big hole. (26/7/2008)
- Qantas airplane aborts take-off (7/8/2008)
- Many dead in Madrid airplane crash – crashes on take-off (20/8/2008)
- Plane crashes in Kyrgyz capital – airplane has fault on take-off, turns then crashes (25/8/2008)
- Blazing airplane at Munich Airport – undercarriage fire on take-off (25/8/2008)
- Mid-air panic as airplane plunges 26,000 feet – airplane de-pressurisation and plummets (26/8/2008)
There were more, but these are the main ones I think.